The SELPHYL® System uses your own blood. We prepare a product which enables us to collect and process your own natural tissue building elements to fill in deep creases and hollowness.
Your blood is drawn by Dr Mohan or his Staff, and then spun in order for your red blood cells to separate from your platelets, making (PRP ~ Platelet-Rich Plasma). PRP is then combined with an activator making (PRFM ~ Platelet-Rich Fibrin Matrix) and is then injected into the treatment area, just below the surface of your skin.
SELPHYL® uses your own blood and does not contain any animal or synthetic components; therefore, the risk of an allergic reaction is unlikely. However, if you have a history of allergies please inform your physician.
There have been no known serious side effects reported in actual usage. However, you may experience some common reactions, such as mild irritation, bruising, swelling, itching, discoloration or tenderness at the injection site. These temporary conditions typically resolve themselves within one to two days.
What to Expect
- The treatment will provide a gradual increase in volume by helping to stimulate your body's own collagen production.
- Following your treatment, you will see immediate results, which may last 3-7 days only.
- Once the initial swelling goes down, it may take up to 4-6 weeks to see sustained volume gain.
- SELPHYL® offers natural and lasting effects.
- This treatment is not recommended for those who have areas of infectious skin problems, are susceptible to hypertrophic scarring or autoimmune diseases, are anemic or on medication that can affect platelet function.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages within 48-24 hours prior to your treatment. Please avoid Red Wine one week prior to treatment.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Vioxx, etc.), Aspirin, Vitamin E, or Ginkgo Biloba one week prior to treatment. This will reduce the possible side effects of bruising and/or swelling in the treated area(s).
- Avoid products/treatments that boost metabolism (Diet pills and Endermologie) one week prior to treatment.
- Discontinue Retin-A three (3) days before and three (3) days after treatment.
- You cannot be pregnant or breastfeeding to receive this treatment.
- Patients who have a history of recurring cold soars (Herpes simplex type1) should start oral Valtrex 500 mg tablets 2 days prior to your treatment and continue for 3 days after treatment.
- If you develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. prior to your appointment, you must reschedule.
- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Start taking Arnica two days prior to treatment to reduce possibility of bruising.
- Eating and drinking pineapple prior to treatment will help to reduce swelling.
- After your treatment, you may experience some redness, bruising, itching and/or swelling. This should last less than seven days. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling. If the redness and/or swelling or any other reactions do not go away after seven days, please contact your physician.
- If the pain is uncomfortable, use acetaminophen (Tylenol, Atasol) following the directions on the bottle. Do not use ASA (Aspirin) as it may increase bruising at the site of injection.
- Avoid touching the treated area for six hours following the treatment. After that, you can wash the area gently.
- It is important to minimize the amount of movement in the injected area for the next 48-72 hours (minimize smoking and/or drinking from a straw). Your new implant requires time to settle.
- Sunbathing and cold outdoor activities should be avoided until the redness and/or swelling go down.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could cause a recurrence. Please speak to your physician about any medications that may minimize this recurrence.
- Avoid exercise and alcohol, especially Red wine for 24 hours after the treatment.
- Continue with Arnica for a few days post treatment to minimize bruising.
- Continue to eat pineapple after the treatment as it will help to bring down swelling.