Laser Vein Treatment
Laser vein treatment is a non-invasive light therapy designed to eliminate undesired blood vessels from all parts of the body by generating a pulse of intense, concentrated light. This laser light is directed through a small, cooled hand piece and is gently applied to the treatment site.
The laser energy passes through the skin to the blood vessels, where the pigment in the blood absorbs the energy. Because it is a pigment-specific damage, it causes selective damage to the lining of the targeted blood vessel without damaging the surrounding cells. The laser is pulsed for only a fraction of a second so that excessive heat is not transferred to the surrounding skin.
The body reabsorbs the blood vessels, which have been destroyed, and the flow of blood is directed back down into the deeper vessels, where it belongs. Immediately before and after the treatment, cooling gel pads are applied to the surface of the skin for protection. This selectivity helps to protect the skin, while effectively treating the unwanted blood vessels. The Cutera Xeo laser can be used just about anywhere on the body, even sensitive areas such as the nose and cheeks. The treatment usually requires no anaesthesia.
Veins from all parts of the body respond extremely well to Laser Therapy.
Cherry hemangiomas are little red dots on the torso, arms & legs.
Spider veins are very small veins caused by a dilation of the small venules under the skin.
Reticular veins are small bluish colored veins that carry blood to the skin venules & are larger than spider veins.
Varicose veins are large dilated veins usually on the legs, secondary to either pregnancy gravity or genetic predisposition. Laser is an effective way of treating Varicose veins upto 4mm in diameter. Larger veins usually are better treated with sclerotherapy.
Facial veins are veins which can be large broken capillaries on the nose & cheeks or smaller vessels on the other facial areas. A full face treatment will improve the overall facial appearance by creating a more uniform skin colour & by smoothening the texture of the skin.
Benefits of Laser compared to alternative treatments
The primary benefits of laser removal of unwanted blood vessels are:
- Larger areas may be treated with less discomfort than with sclerotherapy or vein stripping.
- Speed, comfort and long lasting results.
- Works on any area of the body where you wish to have blood vessels removed.
- Small blood vessels, which are difficult or impossible to treat with sclerotherapy, respond very well to Cutera Xeo vascular laser.
- There is less risk of bruising compared to sclerotherapy because the Xeo uses a beam of pure laser light energy. Sclerotherapy uses injections which breaks the skin and the wall of the blood vessel. The operator and then places an irritating solution in the bloodstream of the unwanted vessel.
- There is no need for bandages, tape or support stockings after treatment.
Cutera Xeo laser removal of unwanted blood vessels offers long lasting results with minimal discomfort and little or no downtime after the treatment.
Advantages over sclerotherapy
Let's use an analogy. You have a lawn of grass that needs cutting and you have two tools to cut it with: a lawnmower or scissors. Laser therapy for vein removal is like using a lawn mower to cut the grass; its fast, efficient, and not very painful. Sclerotherapy is like using a pair of scissors to cut the grass; its slow, inefficient, and quite painful.
With injection sclerotherapy, the operator inserts a needle into the blood vessel and injects an irritating solution into the unwanted vessel. The body detects that the vessel has been damaged, and reabsorbs the unwanted vessel. It can be an excellent technique for the removal of large vessels on the legs, and injection sclerotherapy is superior to any kind of laser treatment for the removal of blood vessels, which are thicker than 4 mm in diameter (about 1/6th of an inch).
Laser centres sometimes refer patients for injection sclerotherapy, and sclerotherapy operators sometimes refer patients to laser centres, depending on the needs and wishes of the patient. Injection sclerotherapy can be useful for large, deep blood vessels, which are easier to inject than to treat with laser. Some people who have a mixture of small and large vessels will have laser treatment to remove as many of the smaller superficial vessels as possible, and have injection sclerotherapy to remove larger deep vessels.
Some people just don't like needles and bandages, and prefer to be treated only with Cutera Xeo which is a laser treatment that is a safe, fast, gentle and effective method for removal of unwanted blood vessels. In just a few treatment sessions using the gentle power of the laser, you can greatly improve the appearance of skin which is disfigured by unwanted blood vessels and broken capillaries.
Just like fees paid to physicians, dentists and orthodontists for other medical services, fees to physicians for laser hair removal services may be tax deductible medical expenses, so save your receipts.
- Avoid aspirin or other blood thinning drugs (vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba), or arthritis medication for two days before and after treatment.
- Avoid alcohol specifically red wine for two days before and after treatment.
- Shave treatment area 1 day prior to your appointment.
- Remove any make-up from the treatment area prior to the treatment.
- Do not apply lotions to legs before appointment.
- You cannot be pregnant to receive treatment.
- Avoid flying for 48 hours after treatment.
- Apply aloe vera to treatment area at night to prevent dehydration.
- If there is swelling, wrap ice in a cloth and apply to the affected area.
- Use sunscreen for at least 2 weeks following procedure (for face).
- You can shower in the morning but no hot baths, hot tubs, sauna for 1 week.
- You can resume normal activities the same day.
- You can resume exercising in 3 days.
- You will not notice an immediate improvement. Clearance usually occurs over a 4-6 week period and in some cases may take up to 8 weeks.
- Bruising, local swelling and some tenderness are normal after treatment, but please feel free to call the office if you have any questions.